The six cylinder mustangs came with a rubber strip attached to the radiator support - there has been some speculation on VMF that these cars were difficult to start in cold weather, and the strip was some kind of insulator, but nobody knows definitively. The strip was stapled on to the radiator support, leaving a series of small holes, which I decided to weld up - I won't be putting the rubber back, so why not.
There were also some extraneous holes in the front cross member, the legacy of a post-factory installation of GT fog lamps. I'll be putting the fog lamps back eventually, but I'll be doing it with a little bit more finesse, so these holes had to do one as well.
There were also several opportunities to refine my skills with a set of body hammers and dollies, after my friend Chuck gave me a quick lesson on techniques.
Then it was time to work on the frame rails, starting by blowing out forty two years worth of dust and grit...and there was plenty of it.
The engine mounts got a good cleaning out and a coating of Zero Rust.
The final step before the wire wheel was removing the undercoating on the outer aprons and behind the wheels. I got rid of this with my heat gun and a putty knife, which was much, much easier and a lot less messy than grinding it all off. Two hours later and I was all ready for the wire wheel.