Monday, September 28, 2015

cleaning up the cluster

I haven't spent much time on 68 lately, but when opportunities have arisen I've been chipping away at some of the smaller projects I started back before the latest garage move. The instrument cluster worked fine (in 2009...) but I wanted to smarten it up a bit. I know most people replace the stock gauges with something more modern, but I decided to keep mine stock, while doing some subtle customization.

Started by dismantling the cover. The fluorescent paint on the speedo was sun-faded, so I started by taping-off this area and applying some of the special paint I bought from NPD (with a Q-tip, natch).


I very delicately "clocked" the speedo back to zero, hopefully without breaking it (!)


The worn "camera case" bezel was dismantled and re-painted with the same black Sign Painters 1-shot lettering enamel that I used on the heater control panel.


The gauge trim rings were painted with the ford maroon paint that has been used throughout the interior (this was done forever ago....)


I tried to polish up the original lenses, but I couldn't make any impact on the now-crusty plastic. I ended up buying a scott-drake repro set through my buddies at Mostly Mustangs.


Installed the appropriate segment of the replacement wiring harness. 


Very happy with the finished look:

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you back at it. Progress is progress. I never noticed the trim rings before in the panel. That color really sets the cluster off nicely. My bezel has no chrome left on it so I'll probably buy a repro. Overall, you've got a great looking instrument panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update and primo work! Glad to see a new post! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx! Been in the garage all day...so watch this space!

    ReplyDelete