Here's the car after suffering a second attack from the Killer Kutting Wheel. I cut out the lower couple of inches of the wheel arch at the same time.
I chopped a larger-than-really-necessary chunk off the replacement outer wheel arch, and then spent what felt like a long time trimming, fitting, and putting a flange on the patch.
|view of fitted patch from inside the trunk|
OK, so onto the main event. Everyone I know hates using the cutting wheel, but chopping up an expensive $$$ body panel - and then discarding 80+ percent of it - adds a new dimension to the pain.
Another heavy bout of back-and-forth fitting the replacement panel eventually led to a much smaller piece which I flanged with my homemade pliers.
This time I used Clecos™ to secure the patch instead of sheet metal screws, which was much more satisfactory.
|many hours later....all welded up|
After the welds were ground down I was much happier - I'm quite sure it would not have come out this well if I hadn't practiced first with the Canadian patch panel (or had so much help from my blogger friends!) Now, back to the body filler!!